Its location is not precisely stated but the boat-train from the continent to London connects at Fenny Clayton Junction for the village. This suggests a location south of London.
In the 2008 ITV adaptation, connecting trains for London from the village call at Victoria, which is consistent with a location to the south of London.
Places in Wychwood under Ashe
- Ashe Manor
- Seven Stars inn - owned by the late Harry Carter
- Bells and Motley inn
- Clinic of Dr Humbleby and Dr Thomas
- Institute and Lad's club - endowed by Lord Whitfield, located at the boot shop his father used to own. He employed the best architect in the country for the building but he found the result too plain, like a workhouse or prison
- Local museum and library - formerly Wych Hall, a manor house. The library was also endowed by Lord Whitfield
- Curio shop - run by Mr Ellsworthy
- Pipwell's Garage
- A bank - managed by Mr Jones
- Tobacco and paper shop - run by Mrs Pierce
- Alfred Wake
- Lavinia Pinkerton and her cat Wonky Pooh
- Dr John Humbleby, wife Jessie and daughter Rose residing at Sandgate.
- Honoria Waynflete, she has a maid or cook Emily
- Major Horton, widower of the late Lydia Horton. He keeps three bulldogs Nero, Augustus and Nelly.
- Mrs Anstruther – Bridget's aunt
- Mrs Church – Amy Gibb's aunt
- Mrs Pierce – mother of the late Tommy Pierce
- Mr Jones, Mrs Jones and daughter Hetty Jones
- Jim Harvey, Amy Gibb's former boyfriend, works at Pipwell's garage
- Mrs Carter, widow of late Harry Carter and her daughter Lucy Carter
- Mr Hobbs
- Mrs Rose
- Ben Stanbury