The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side is the fourth episode of the fifth series of Agatha Christie's Marple. It was first released in the US on 23 May 2010, having first been shown in Norway on 28 February 2010. In the UK, it was broadcast on ITV on 2 January 2011. The screenplay was written by Kevin Elyot and the episode was directed by Tom Shankland. It was an adaptation of the Agatha Christie novel of the same name.
Hollywood star Marina Gregg leaves Los Angeles for the picturesque countryside of St. Mary Mead. Having taken up residence at Gossington Hall with her dashing young English husband, film director Jason Rudd, his secretary, Ella Blunt and Marina's exclusive personal assistant, Hailey Preston, it's not long before she becomes lady of the manor. When the glamorous couple decide to throw a benefit for the St John Ambulance, the grounds are abuzz with curious locals including previous owner of Gossington Hall, Dolly Bantry. But when a local fan, Heather Badcock consumes a poisoned daiquiri, Marina finds herself starring in a real-life mystery - supported by Miss Marple and Inspector Hewitt, who suspect that the lethal cocktail was intended for someone else. But who?
Comparison with the original story
- Ardwyck Fenn is renamed Vincent Hogg.
- Though it borrowed elements from the 1980 film it ultimately remained faithful to Christie's original text.
Plot elements and themes
- Julia McKenzie as Miss Marple
- Lindsay Duncan as Marina Gregg
- Gene Goodman as Louis Charles (character in Marina Gregg's film Marie Antoinette)
- Isabella Parriss as Marie Thérèse (character in Marina Gregg's film Marie Antoinette)
- Jonny Coyne as French Officer (character in Marina Gregg's film Marie Antoinette)
- Joanna Lumley as Dolly Bantry
- Nigel Harman as Jason Rudd
- Victoria Smurfit as Ella Blunt
- Brennan Brown as Hailey Preston
- Caroline Quentin as Heather Badcock
- Martin Jarvis as Vincent Hogg
- Hannah Waddingham as Lola Brewster
- Olivia Darnley as Cherry Baker
- Michele Dotrice as Mrs Hubbard
- Charlotte Riley as Margot Bence
- Don Gallagher as Man in Livery
- Lois Jones as Primrose Dixon
- Neil Stuke as Dr Haydock
- Hugh Bonneville as Inspector Hewitt
- Samuel Barnett as Sergeant Tiddler
- Will Young as Casey Croft
- Anna Andresen as Maisie Cooper
- David Lyddon as Municipal Officer (uncredited)
- Darren Petrucci (uncredited)
- Simon John Wilson as Press Reporter (uncredited)
- Uncredited actor as Bobby
- North Mymms Park - Gossington Hall