The House of Lurking Death is the third episode of Agatha Christie's Partners in Crime. It was written by Jonathan Hales and directed by Christopher Hodson and first broadcast on 30 October 1983. It is an adaptation of the Agatha Christie short story with the same name.
A young woman asks the Beresfords to help because she suspects there is a poisoner in her own household.
Comparison with the original story
(may contain spoilers - click on expand to read)
- There is a preliminary scene that depicts the initial poisoning with the chocolates which is only narrated in retrospect in the original.
- Tommy did not overtly assume the persona of Inspector Hanaud, he did greet Lois Hargreaves using some French phrases and words and says his methods are those of the Surete.
- The same plot device of the three intertwined fish is used. Only in this case, it is not just a portion of it--the entire motif is present on the portion of wrapping paper which Lois saved and showed to the Beresfords. It is not the same motif as on the Collins Greenway editions of Christie's novels.
- The Berefords do make arrangements to call at Thurnley Grange but they don't arrange with Lois to use the cover name of "The Van Dusens".
- There is an extra sub-plot involving the relationship between Dennis Radcliffe and all the other women in the household.
- Mary Chilcott has a relationship with Radcliffe and wants him to tell Lois about them.
- Radcliffe is also carrying on with Ester Quant the parlourmaid.
- Tommy suspects that Rose Holloway is also secretly in love with Radcliffe. When pressed, she does admit that she liked him.
- This sub-plot all serve to render Mary and Rose as plausible suspects. There is an extra scene where Tommy accuses Rose, Mary and also Mrs Holloway as being suspects who might have committed the murders.
- Francesca Annis as Tuppence Beresford
- James Warwick as Tommy Beresford
- Reece Dinsdale as Albert Batt
- Lynsey Baxter as Lois Hargreaves
- Kim Clifford as Rose Holloway
- Michael Cochrane as Captain Dennis Radcliffe
- Deddie Davies as Mrs Holloway
- Anita Dobson as Esther Quant
- Louisa Rix as Mary Chilcott
- Joan Sanderson as Rachel Logan
- Granville Saxton as Dr Burton
- Liz Smith as Hannah MacPherson
- Nether Winchendon
- Nether Winchendon House, Nether Winchendon, Buckinghamshire - Thurnley Grange
- St. Nicholas Church - Tommy and Tuppence drive past this church and the nearby distinctive postbox.