Murder on the Orient Express is a 2017 film adapted from Agatha Christie's novel of the same name. The film is directed by Kenneth Branagh and stars Branagh as Hercule Poirot. The film also features an ensemble supporting cast including Penélope Cruz, Willem Dafoe, Judi Dench, Johnny Depp, Derek Jacobi, Josh Gad, Michelle Pfeiffer, Daisy Ridley, and Olivia Colman, with Leslie Odom Jr., Tom Bateman, Lucy Boynton, Marwan Kenzari, Manuel Garcia-Rulfo, and Sergei Polunin.
It's one of the few movies in recent decades to have used 65 mm film cameras. The Film had its world premiere on November 2, 2017, at Royal Albert Hall in London, and was released in the UK on November 3, 2017, and in the US on November 10, 2017, by 20th Century Fox.
The film grossed over $351 million worldwide but received a mixed critical reaction. Whilst praise was given to the acting and production design, it was generally felt that it didn't add much new material compared to previous versions. A sequel, adapted from Death on the Nile, is scheduled for an February 11, 2022 release.
- Kenneth Branagh as Hercule Poirot
- Penélope Cruz as Pilar Estravados
- Willem Dafoe as Gerhard Hardman
- Dame Judi Dench as Princess Dragomiroff
- Johnny Depp as Samuel Ratchett
- Josh Gad as Hector MacQueen
- Sir Derek Jacobi as Edward Henry Masterman
- Leslie Odom Jr. as Dr. Arbuthnot
- Michelle Pfeiffer as Caroline Hubbard
- Daisy Ridley as Mary Debenham
- Tom Bateman as Bouc
- Olivia Colman as Hildegarde Schmidt
- Lucy Boynton as Countess Helena Andrenyi
- Marwan Kenzari as Pierre Michel
- Manuel Garcia-Rulfo as Biniamino Marquez
- Sergei Polunin as Count Rudolph Andrenyi
- Miranda Raison as Sonia Armstrong