Carla Lemarchant was just five when her mother Caroline was accused and convicted of poisoning her father - the famous painter Amyas Crale - and she dies in jail. Carla is sent to live with her uncle and aunt in Canada. Only when she turns 21, does she discover her family history in a letter from Caroline denying her husband's murder. But if Carla's mother didn't kill Amyas Crale, who did?
Desperate to find out the truth, Carla seeks the help of Hercule Poirot. But this is a formidable challenge even for the remarkable Belgian detective - especially as he's nothing to go on - except five suspects who fit strangely into the pattern of a children's nursery rhyme...
Dramatist: Michael Bakewell
Director: Enyd Williams
First heard on BBC Radio 4 in 1994.
- John Moffatt as Hercule Poirot
- Graham Crowden as Meredith Blake
- Derek Waring as Phillip Blake
- Carmel McSharry as Miss Williams
- Clare Heyhoe as Carla Lemarchant
- Suzy Aitchison as Elsa Greer
- Charlotte Attenborough as Angela
- John Woodnutt as Montague Depleach
- Jemma Churchill as Caroline Crale
- John Hartley as Amyas Crale
- David Kossoff as Caleb Jonathan